To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com using the above job title in your email subject box addressed to Melanie Lewis.
We are looking to hire a junior Actuarial Systems Developer within the Divisional Actuarial Systems Team at the London offices of Pacific Life Re, a major global player in Life Reinsurance.
As well as supporting our various Actuarial functions around the world, the team is increasingly working with the wider business to ensure we are well positioned to embrace the rapidly changing technical landscape.
The team is currently migrating many of our core actuarial models and processes from MoSes and Excel to Tyche – a high-performance modelling platform.
With a proactive approach to problem solving, you will constantly strive to improve all aspects of the actuarial systems workflow, including calculation accuracy, process automation and system performance. You will be involved in the design, implementation and testing of process, system and infrastructure improvements.
The successful candidate, from a computer science or similar STEM field, will show a passion for their crat, a dedication to excellence, and an energy and enthusiasm to fit the dynamic culture of our workplace.
- Support the development and maintenance of a robust set of actuarial modelling tools and processes. Key tasks cover all aspects of our end to end process including the drafting of technical specifications, implementing model updates, and testing and reviewing changes. In the short to medium term, a key part of the role is to ensure successful migration from MoSes to our new Actuarial projection system, Tyche.
- Develop and/or maintain documentation and user guides.
- Support end to end testing.
- Support any Actuarial Systems developments, including hands-on development work and/or troubleshooting any issues that may arise.
- Stay abreast of developments in insurance and reinsurance markets including actuarial issues, modelling platforms, hardware, product developments and new initiatives.
- Coding experience, e.g C++, Python or VBA or other structured languages
- A good degree in Computer Science or a similar STEM subject
- Advanced understanding of Excel and Word
- Interest in actuarial modelling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as this role will work closely with other team members and our broader user base
- Ability to be forward-looking and anticipate future needs
- Good analytical skills and a demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise workloads and deliver to deadlines
- Working knowledge of database tools, e.g. FoxPro, SQL Server, or Essbase (desirable, not essential)
Pacific Life Re – Who are we?
We work with clients in Europe, Asia, Australia and North America, specialising in risks associated with Life, Critical Illness, Income Protection, Hospital Cash and Longevity products. Our clients are insurance or reinsurance companies looking for a new and innovative approach to taking risks.
With the security and financial strength of a parent company that's been around for over 145 years and a mutual holding company as our ultimate parent, we are not constrained by short-term thinking; therefore, allowing us to be free to pursue the right course for our clients and our business.
Underlying our philosophy is an intelligent approach to taking risks. By recruiting top quality staff and investing in the latest analytical technologies, we believe we are well placed to make those decisions.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we will provide reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact us about your needs so that we can discuss these with you to make sure that suitable adjustments are made, where possible.
Working at Home During the Pandemic
At PL Re we are 100% working from home during the pandemic. We continue to recruit and onboard new hires during this period.
The company has invested in providing a high level of support for our employees as they continue to work from home. This includes regular “tea & talk” sessions, providing suitable home-working equipment, additional holidays and flexible working options, as well as weekly yoga classes and regular social activities. We want to make sure everyone is looked after and supported at this time. We are also contributing to our local communicates by giving staff time off for volunteering activities and making charitable donations.
We offer a generous benefits package including a discretionary bonus; stakeholder pension scheme; BUPA; Life Insurance; 25 days holiday; STL; Group Income Protection; subsidised gym membership and more.