- Competitive salary with excellent benefits
- Travel: flexibility to travel across the UK up to 5 days a week (Travel allowance and travel expenses paid)
The IBM Client Innovation Centre (CIC) is an innovative and exciting part of IBM, working as IBM Global Business Services’ technical delivery partner. We continually innovate for our customers, employees and shareholders. Our Technical Skills range from Application Development (Java, Front End, Full Stack, DevOps), through Testing Services to Infrastructure Support.
Here’s where you come in: We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network and further their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash your potential, IBM Services is for you.
To meet the needs of our clients’ evolving technical and business needs, you will complete an Associate training program incorporating a blended e-learning, classroom and practical learning approach in technologies used by the IBM Client Innovation Centres, ensuring you are immediately effective for our clients. Training will be delivered in the following topics: Development, Testing, DevOps and Cloud, including Red Hat, OpenShift, IBM Cloud and AWS.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Design and develop a new, modern application or sustain a legacy application.
- Translate software requirements into working and maintainable solutions within new or existing application frameworks.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Support the Code Review process, including troubleshooting and performance tuning.
- Maintain and improve code quality, organisation, and automatisation.
- Communicate with stakeholders on technical issues.
- Design and code servers, services, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals.
- Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are clean, well-documented, and easy to use.
This is a job of IBM Services Centre UK Limited
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- We are looking for people who have experience in several of the following areas. We appreciate that you will probably not have all of these, so don’t worry if you are missing some of them:
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with build and continuous integration tools like Maven, Jenkins, Gradle
- Familiar with database development on platform like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle
- Familiar with Java/JEE best practices around design patterns, performance tuning, automated tests and unit tests
- Ability to thrive in an ever-changing, technology-based consulting environment, using agile development techniques
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Exposure to writing RESTful APIs using Microservices architecture and Spring Boot framework
- Exposure to deploying applications with container technology like Docker and container orchestration technology like Kubernetes or RedHat OpenShift
- Familiar with twelve-factor cloud design principles
About Business Unit
The Client Innovation Centre (CIC) is a new, innovative and exciting part of IBM. A fast-paced and dynamic business built to deliver high-value technical services to world renowned clients. Since opening our first UK office in Leicester in Spring 2015, we’ve significantly grown. The CIC Centres are in Leicester, The South which offers locations in Hursley, Swindon, Bedfont Lakes (near Heathrow) and Mark Lane (in Central London), The North - predominantly located in Preston, and Microsoft with Practitioners based around the UK. All of our employees work in a consultancy environment on a variety of exciting projects across a range of sectors. Every project has its own unique working environment - this enables our employees to build their experience, skillset and network.
Your Life @ IBM
We are proud of our training and development opportunities. As part of the CIC, you will be welcome to undertake a multitude of training courses with an extensive range of classroom, e-learning, interactive and video courses. With our support, you will have the opportunity to acquire industry recognised qualifications, gain valuable experience with globally renowned companies and work with industry leading technologies. This will enable you to grow within our business which we support via promotion and progression opportunities.
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants who design, build, and run foundational systems and services that are the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds. However, in order for you to be eligible for this role, all applicants must hold British Nationality, UK work permit or visa valid for a two-year period prior to applying along with at least 5 years UK residency and preferably 10 years.
Unfortunately we do not offer visa sponsorship and have no future plans to do so.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.