This placement is ideal for Biomedical Science students who are interested in bioanalytical testing and who want to pursue a career in a clinical chemistry laboratory.
Company and Placement Overview
SPD was formed in 2007 as a joint venture between Procter & Gamble (P&G) and Alere (now Abbott). With strong positions in most key markets with the Clearblue brand, SPD is active in the research, design, marketing and sales of branded consumer diagnostic products.
SPD has its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland (SPD Swiss Precision Diagnostics GmbH) and its R&D and supporting functions are in Bedford, UK (SPD Development Company Ltd).
The Company’s aim is to rapidly design, develop, test and transfer to production, world-class consumer diagnostic solutions in women’s health focusing on home pregnancy and fertility/ovulation tests.
This placement offers a rare opportunity to work within the Clinical laboratory department of SPD supporting the wider Clinical and R&D functions. It provides hands-on experience within a fast-paced environment where you will gain direct exposure to the processing of samples for the analysis of pregnancy and menstrual cycle hormones & biomarkers. You will have the opportunity to develop your laboratory skills, become trained in the operation of key laboratory equipment including clinical analysers and will play an active role in contributing to the successful progress of a variety of development projects.
The successful applicant would be expected to:
- Log-in volunteers’ samples via the In-House Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Prepare and catalogue sample sub-aliquots for long term retention and storage in the SPD BioBank
- Retrieve samples from the BioBank in support of various clinical projects
- Become fully trained and able to independently operate clinical analysers and automated equipment
- Submit analytical results for approval and release data in a timely manner ensuring all technical standards are met
- Perform routine testing of hormones and biomarkers in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures for processing of volunteers’ specimens and analysis
- Participate in the development of new methods for existing and new target analytes
- Validate existing and new Immunoassays in accordance with current laboratory guidelines based on relevant international standards
- Maintain working stock controls of reagents
- Assist with chemical and clinical waste disposal according to established protocols
- Participate as required in the general laboratory cleaning schedule to maintain a clean and tidy working environment
- Become trained in equipment maintenance procedures required to minimise downtime and breakdowns
- Perform and maintain quality control of work in accordance with quality accreditation standards and the company Quality Management System (QMS)
Essential: Very good biomedical sciences knowledge. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and be part of a working laboratory team.
Desired: A keen interest in clinical chemistry and immunoassays. Experience with preparative techniques of biological samples and able to present data at project team meetings.