The award-winning Fast Stream is the leadership development programme that develops the highest potential graduates to become the future leaders of the Civil Service. Joining the Fast Stream offers the unique opportunity to make a difference to the whole of society. The Civil Service supports the government of the day to implement its policies effectively. Fast Streamers help to shape the decisions that will affect everyone’s lives and to deliver the public services that we all rely on.
Strong financial management and placing finance at the heart of senior decision making is vitally important in the Civil Service. As a Finance fast streamer, you will work in some of the most fascinating, high-profile environments in government and will be part of a 10,000-strong finance community.
You'll help shape the government's financial policy and make sure that public services are delivered effectively and efficiently, whilst also gaining a professional accountancy qualification.
You’ll have the opportunity to engage with senior stakeholders both inside and outside of government from day one. You’ll build relationships and help to put finance at the heart of the decision-making process.
The minimum starting salary is £28,000. Once you finish the scheme, you'll be a fully qualified accountant. Promotion and successful completion of the scheme will see you earn around £45,000 to £55,000.
You’ll get support to become a Civil Service finance professional, including:
- Cross-government projects to gain a broad range of technical skills
- A buddy to help you prepare to join the Fast Stream, and to settle you into the department
- A qualified and trained mentor and cohort leader
- A professional accountancy qualification
- Opportunity to meet members of the professional bodies, including their current students and recently qualified accountants
- Free registration and annual membership with the professional body and tuition provided.
- Paid for learning materials, tuition, exams and any exemption fees, plus study leave.
We support applicants with health conditions, learning difficulties and disabilities, with their applications and through their Civil Service careers. We operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme. If you have a disability and meet the minimum qualifying criteria for your chosen scheme, you may choose to skip part of the first stage of the assessment process.
You can choose up to 4 scheme preferences when you apply to the Fast Stream. So, whether you are looking for your first graduate role, seeking to return to work, or change profession, the Fast Stream is the ideal place to progress a meaningful, fulfilling career.